Your session is about to timeout due to inactivity. Click OK to extend your time for an additional 120 minutes.
Ergonomic Office Chairs
Ergonomic office chairs – why you need them
If your profession requires you to sit down for anywhere between 5-8 hours a day, it’s worthwhile investing in an ergonomic chair which can be adapted to your needs to ensure you’re sat comfortably. Being sat in the same position for a long period of time can have health implications long term, particularly if you’re sat in the wrong position as this can put unnecessary strain on your neck, back or shoulders.
Ergonomic chairs are the ideal solution for home offices and corporate work spaces alike, as they promote good posture and help you and your employees to be more productive as you’re able to sit comfortably throughout the working day.
How to sit in an ergonomic chair
- With your back straight and your shoulders back.
- The normal curves of your back should be supported by the chair – some people require additional lumbar support.
- Weight should be distributed evenly on both hips.
- Knees should be at a right angle and either even with or slightly higher than your hips – you can use a footrest if necessary.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- You should try to avoid twisting or tilting at the waist when sat.
No two people are the same and will have different needs when finding the correct chair position for them. You can learn more about how to sit in an office chair to avoid back pain in our blog for more tips.
Ergonomic office chair benefits
They can prevent or alleviate pain
If you already have back pain, you should invest in a chair to support your back and prevent making the problem worse. If you don’t have back pain, it’s still important to sit correctly to avoid putting strain on your back muscles or spine.
They allow proper circulation
It’s important to allow proper blood flow through your body, the wrong chair can prevent the correct blood flow through your legs. Your legs should be at a 90 degree angle and there should be 30-40mm between the front of the seat and the back of your knees to ensure blood can circulate properly.
They can support the natural curves of your back
Your spine will have natural curves and it's important the chair doesn’t put strain on your back in the wrong place. Some ergonomic chairs will offer integrated lumbar support, others, like mesh, will mould to your curves and some will offer adjustable lumbar support, adjustable arms and adjustable seats to help you find the best position for you.
They help to improve productivity
If you’re in discomfort it’s likely you won’t be as productive and you may even be required to take sick leave if the problem becomes more serious. In order to achieve the optimum sitting position you will need a chair which can be adjusted to fit your body. Our range of ergonomic chairs can be adjusted in a number of different ways, some are fully adjustable and others have one or two ergonomic features. To understand more on each mechanism an ergonomic office chair can offer, read our guide here.
Ergonomic office chairs for home-working and corporate environments
Whether you’re looking to invest in comfortable seating for your home office work space or you’re an employer searching for office chairs that protects the health of staff and boosts productivity, we’re confident that we have the solution for you. Browse our range of ergonomic office chairs, including kneeling chairs, stools and high back office chairs online today and benefit from free delivery.
If you have any questions about our range of ergonomic office chairs, please do not hesitate to contact us and speak to a member of our friendly sales team who can help you find a chair to suit your requirements. Alternatively, we also provide other types of office chairs, including leather, executive and fabric office chairs to suit your needs.
What is an ergonomic office chair?
An ergonomic office chair is a chair designed to support a user’s spine, helping to reduce stress and prevent slumping. Ergonomic chairs are ideal for working environments as they keep employees comfortable during the day.
What is the best ergonomic office chair?
Deciding on the best ergonomic office chair for your needs isn’t always an easy task and we understand how important it is to make the right choice for your business (or for your personal requirements). Here are some considerations for you to make so you can find the perfect ergonomic chairs:
- What adjustable features does it have? - ergonomic chairs should be height adjustable, but you can find products which have a variety of adjustable features to ensure that the chair is perfect for an individual’s needs. For example, some ergonomic chairs will have tilting seats which help to correct a person’s pelvis alignment.
- Look at the level of lumbar support which will help to prevent slouching that can lead to back pain.
- What material is it made from? What the chair is made from will impact how comfortable it is. For example, mesh office chairs are breathable, keeping employees cool throughout the day whilst office chairs with foam backs and seats add an extra layer of cushioning.
- What is the chair’s weight limit? Consider the maximum weight limit of the chairs and opt for a chair that will provide optimal support.
- Does it have a headrest? Not all ergonomic office chairs will have headrests but they can provide additional support for your neck, head and back.
Are ergonomic chairs comfortable?
Yes, ergonomic chairs are designed with comfort in mind and help people to maintain better posture throughout the working day, whether they’re sitting at a desk, countertop or table. Height-adjustable, ergonomic office chairs can help to reduce musculoskeletal issues and pain, keeping you more comfortable when sitting for long periods of time.
Where to buy an ergonomic office chair
You can buy ergonomic office chairs directly online here at Manutan, and you’ll also benefit from free delivery. We are a leading supplier of office furniture and offer a wide range of high-quality ergonomic chairs from trusted brands, so you can count on us to deliver the best office seating for your needs.
Do I need an ergonomic chair?
Employers have a responsibility to ensure that their staff’s working environment is safe and healthy. Businesses should assess the health risks in their workplace and provide comfortable, height-adjustable seating for their employees to prevent them from developing neck and back problems. By investing in ergonomic chairs, you can keep staff comfortable and help to protect their physical health.
Working from home? If you’re looking for a new chair for your home office, it’s still important to choose an ergonomic chair that will keep you safe and comfortable so that you can work from home pain-free.