The amount of weight that a pallet rack can hold will vary across manufacturers of pallet racking and will depend on size and design. That said, standard pallet racks will have a load capacity of around 2,500 pounds. It’s important for you to check the capacity of a pallet rack to ensure that it’s suitable for the goods you wish to store.
Benefits of pallet racking
- It’s space-efficient – they usually stack on top of one another, less of the floor area is used, allowing workplaces to maximise their storage space.
- It can increase employee productivity – the process of locating, storing and retrieving goods becomes easier and more efficient.
- It’s robust – the frames are typically made from steel, they are very sturdy and durable.
- It can hold heavy loads – their weight capacity can vary but you can find heavy duty shelving and racking solutions.
- They are accessible – they’re designed with accessibility in mind and forklifts can easily load and unload material goods.
How do you determine the capacity of a pallet rack?
You can calculate pallet racking capacity by firstly finding out the beam capacity and you can do this by multiplying the heaviest pallet load weight by the number of pallet positions per beam level. Once you know your beam capacity, you will then need to calculate the pallet racking frame capacity. You can use the beam capacity per level of the pallet racking and find out the maximum beam spacing (the gap between the top of a beam level to the top of the next beam level) the system will use.
Why is it important to find the right pallet racking?
Pallet racking is a fantastic storage solution for warehouses but it’s important for you to select the right racking for the materials you intend to store. Exceeding the capacity of racking is dangerous. If you choose a pallet rack that cannot hold the weight of the materials you wish to store, you risk causing damage to the racking, stock and could potentially cause injuries to staff.
Furthermore, you will want to ensure that the dimensions of your pallet racking are suitable for your stock as well as the space you have available at your workplace.
Looking for pallet racking?
If you’re looking for pallet racking in your warehouse, Manutan has got you covered! From pallet racking kits to pallet racking frames, we have plenty of shelving and racking solutions available to suit your business needs.
Got any questions about our products? Contact our friendly team today who will be happy to assist you with your enquiry!