A draughtsman chair is an ergonomically designed chair that is designed to support the user’s body posture when seated, helping to prevent injury and reducing back pains and strains.
What features will make a desk chair ergonomic?
The features of an ergonomic draughtsman chair can vary depending on the model but here are some of the typical features you can expect to find in an ergonomic chair:
- Height adjustment
- Adjustable seat and back support
- Adjustable armrests
- Adjustable footrests
- Secure 5 star base for more stability
These features ensure that the draughtsman chair is comfortable and fully adjustable to suit the user’s individual needs; correct positioning of the body whilst seated is key to avoiding injuries and maintaining good health.
What are the benefits of having a draughtsman chair?
Ergonomic office chairs such as the draughtsman chair are ideal for working environments such as offices and they have many benefits, including:
- They help users to maintain good posture – their ergonomic design helps to prevent slouching and encourages correct body alignment.
- They can boost productivity – if the user feels more comfortable whilst working, they will be able to focus on the task at hand rather than becoming distracted by any pains they may be suffering if they are not positioned correctly.
- They prevent back pains and strains – it’s important for every employer to consider and take responsibility for the health and wellbeing of all their employees. Sitting at a desk for long periods of time can cause pains, strains, and even lasting damage to spinal structures – ergonomic draughtsman chairs help to reduce these risks.
- They are affordable – here at Manutan, we have a wide range of draughtsman chairs to suit all budgets.
How to sit in an ergonomic chair
Firstly, it is important to correctly set up your draughtsman chair to ensure that you are benefitting from its ergonomic design. Here’s what you need to do:
- Adjust the back support, making sure that your hips are right at the back of the chair.
- Adjust the height (and footrest if applicable) – typically you will find a lever to adjust the chair’s height beneath the seat. You will want to have your feet flat on the floor (or if you have an office chair with a footrest, your feet should be flat on this) and arms even with the height of the desk. Try to make sure you have one or two inches of clearance above your thighs and the underside of the work surface.
- Adjust the armrests until your arms are slightly raised at the shoulders.
When you’ve set up the optimal position for your draughtsman chair, ensure that you have also considered the following:
- Screens/monitors (if you have any) – these should be an arms-length away and at eye level to prevent you from bending your neck.
- Keyboard and mouse – your keyboard should be placed in front of you and between four to six inches away from the front of the worktop. Your arms should be on armrests, bent in the form of an L shape. Your mouse should also be positioned close to you to avoid you having to bend your arm uncomfortably.
- Finally, it is important for you to consider taking regular breaks and change your posture so that you aren’t in the same position for too long. It can be helpful to stand up and walk around the room to allow some of your muscles to relax.
Ergonomic chairs – are they worth it?
Ergonomic chairs are hugely important for working environments such as offices and workshops where employees are sat down for long periods of time. As ergonomic chairs offer relief from back and neck pains, they can have a real positive impact on the user, helping them to complete their daily tasks free from discomfort and without the worry of long-term effects on the body caused by poor posture.
Looking for a draughtsman chair?
If you’re looking for an ergonomic draughtsman chair or an office chair with a footrest, look no further than Manutan! We sell a range of draughtsman chairs and other office chairs available in different styles and materials, including fabric, polypropylene, and polyurethane.
So, whether you need a draughtsman chair with castors, draughtsman stools, or any other ergonomic draughtsman chair, you’ll find what you need here. If you have questions about any of our products, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.